Kenya Papaya Products Ltd is a Kenyan market leader in the manufacturing of natural papaya jam blended with immune-boosting Ganoderma mushrooms for health-conscious individuals. We empower and improve smallholder farmer livelihoods by sourcing raw materials from them.
We are oriented towards green as well as efficient production methods for natural products. We are also Hazard and Critical Control Points (HACCP) compliant. The company has integrated both Kaizen and 5S production operational procedures to utilize the entire value chain of the pawpaw plant to manufacture the following:
- 100% natural papaya jam from the pulp blended with ganoderma mushroom extract.
- Papaya leaf tea from papaya leaves (for menstrual pains, prostrate and cervical cancer treatment
- Papaya leaf extract for treatment of Immune (idiopathic) Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP).
- Papain for tanning leather and fermentation industries such as breweries
- Papaya seed oil for cosmetics manufacture
- Papaya seed cake for livestock de-worming and animal feeds. We buy pawpaws from small holder farmers that we have contracted in Vihiga county and across the country
Our vision is to see the Western part of Kenya becoming one of the most productive and income generating regions in the country by encouraging farmers to produce paw paws- a high-value fruit. Other agricultural produce to be introduced include sugar beet, tree tomato, honey among others and processing them into different products with mushrooms being the main ingredient. With the production of fruit trees, we expect to have high production of nectar. We therefore encourage honey production.
The company’s catchment area is the entire Vihiga, Kakamega, Busia, Kisumu, Siaya, Nyamira, Kisii, Migori, Homabay & lower parts of Kericho county. The project operations started in Vihiga county, however, due to the high demand of the products the company intends to involve farmers within Vihiga and other neighboring counties in Nyanza and Western Provinces.
The purpose of the company is to demonstrate the management and use of farm organic wastes and to increase income generating possibilities of small holder farmers in Vihiga County whose farm sizes are too small for any other meaningful agricultural production.